The Resource Punching the air
- Punching the air
- Statement of responsibility
- written by Ibi Zoboi with Yusef Salaam ; illustrations by Omar T. Pasha
- African American teenage boys -- Juvenile fiction
- African Americans -- Juvenile fiction
- Artists -- Juvenile fiction
- Criminal justice, Administration of -- Juvenile fiction
- Discrimination in criminal justice administration -- Juvenile fiction
- False imprisonment -- Juvenile fiction
- trueGentrification of cities
- trueInstitutional racism
- trueJudicial error
- Judicial error -- Juvenile fiction
- Justice -- Juvenile fiction
- trueJuvenile detention
- Male prisoners -- Juvenile fiction
- Novels in verse
- trueRacism in education
- Young adult fiction
- Teenage artists -- Juvenile fiction
- trueRacism in the criminal justice system
- trueRacism in law enforcement
- trueAfrican American teenage boys
- From award-winning, bestselling author Ibi Zoboi and prison reform activist Yusef Salaam of the Exonerated Five comes a powerful YA novel in verse about a boy who is wrongfully incarcerated. The story that I thought was my life didn't start on the day I was born. Amal Shahid has always been an artist and a poet. But even in a diverse art school, he's seen as disruptive and unmotivated by a biased system. Then one fateful night, an altercation in a gentrifying neighborhood escalates into tragedy. "Boys just being boys" turns out to be true only when those boys are white. The story that I think will be my life starts today. Suddenly, at just sixteen years old, Amal's bright future is upended: he is convicted of a crime he didn't commit and sent to prison. Despair and rage almost sink him until he turns to the refuge of his words, his art. This never should have been his story. But can he change it' With spellbinding lyricism, award-winning author Ibi Zoboi and prison reform activist Yusef Salaam tell a moving and deeply profound story about how one boy is able to maintain his humanity and fight for the truth, in a system designed to strip him of both
- Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Young Adult Literature, 2020.
- School Library Journal Best Books, 2020.
- Walter Award, Teen, 2020.
- YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults, 2021.
- YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, 2021.
- YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers: Top Ten, 2021.
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of Punching the air
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Punching the air
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.cvlga.org/resource/RBqbSTqXinc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.cvlga.org/resource/RBqbSTqXinc/">Punching the air</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.cvlga.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.cvlga.org/">Chattahoochee Valley Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>